Thursday, July 19, 2012

Retro Head Band/ Trends I Am Trying

I wanted to show off this retro inspired easy headband I made.  I made a bunch of them but this one is my favorite.  Of course, the knot could also be worn at the base of the neck for a more subdued look if this look is knot for you (wa-wa!). 
This would be an easy project for any beginner seamstress or crafter, with or without a sewing machine.  Basically, you just take two pieces of scrap fabric that are long enough to tie around your head and cut them to the same size, adding points at the end.  Sew the right sides (print sides) together with the wrong sides showing, leaving a spot open so that you can turn the headband inside out when you are done.  Before turning it inside out, make a few small (careful not to cut your stitching!) snips at the seam corners.  This will make the points more defined.  Once you have turned your headband inside out, push the seam inside of the headband so that the edges don’t show.  Iron the whole thing flat and carefully sew up the hole, concealing the last edges inside.  It is best to leave a spot in the middle of the headband open rather than an edge because it is easier to hide when it is in your hair. 
There is no need to measure, and the width of the scarf is also up to your taste preference.  Little imperfections won’t show when the headband is creased, knotted up, and partially covered by your hair.  :)


I also wanted to show off my attempt at color blocking.  I’m not into trying trends just because they are “in”, but color blocking is a fun trend that I actually wanted to give a go before it disappears.  I’m really into fun pretty prints, and flowy or fitted dresses, but I am all for trying something new every once in a while.  This look (below) is a little Tom-Boy for me, but it works really well with the headband, allowing it to be the accent piece of the outfit.  Not a great photo, but you get the idea. 
Another trend I am still loving is the pastel or brightly colored pants look.  I started wearing colored jeans years ago with an awesome pair of electric blue skinnies from Urban Outfitters, but they are really having their moment now.  I hope it is one trend that lasts and lasts (hey, I had my doubts about skinny jeans when they came out, but look at that trend now!).  I really love GAP's colored kakis that are in stores now (pictured).  I wish I had a million of them!  The style is quite slouchy, and looks great with a t-shirt (like I am wearing in the photo), but would look even better with a fitted tank. 
What do you think?  What trends have you been trying lately?  Is there a trend that you thought for sure you would never try that you now love?  Any you wish would die forever? 
Pants and top: GAP.  Teal scarf: given to me by my friend Jenn.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment