Sunday, August 17, 2014

Flower Child



For someone who loves clothes as much as I do, you would think I would have learned to accessorize by my early 30's.  And for someone who loves a new haircut as much as I do, you would think I would have somewhere learned along the way how to actually style my own hair.  You would be wrong on both counts.  Bonus!  I also don't really know how to do makeup- although that one bothers me less since I like a more natural look (for myself) anyway.  I do love to see how others do their makeup when it is interesting or vintage though!  I'm looking at you Tatianna and Tiffani.  :)

However, accessorizing is a a skill I would really like to learn.  Part of the problem is that my clothes tend to be so loud, and most often with a pattern on the fabric, that it is hard for me to know where to go from there.  I like a statement piece as much as the next fashion fiend, but for the most part I am too lazy to bother to actually find the right moments to use mine.

But all hope is not lost!  I have purchased or have been gifted some pretty amazing statement pieces lately that are just begging to be worn.  Starting with a beautiful flower headband from LOVELYMUGGLE .  It is so me, and yet, I have never been bold enough to wear anything like it. Sure, I had no problem sticking a huge bow on my head when my hair was short, but styling long hair frightens me.  It feels like such a commitment to do anything other than wearing it down long!

For the last year at least I have been focused on growing my hair out in the most boring way possible.  This was completely by design since I knew I was going to try to get pregnant and I didn't want the fuss of trying to look stylish in a hospital gown or worrying about my hair with a new baby in the house.  Sure, there were some minor trims and some color changes along the way, but ultimately I kept growing it out and went back to my natural brown.  No fuss, but also no fun.

Until recently when I decided I couldn't take it any more and cut my bangs, not once, but four times, four different ways, until I finally got it right and ended up with these cute super short retro bangs that I actually love!  But a new haircut requires a new hairstyle once in a while too- and this headband is the perfect way to step out of my comfort zone.  Isn't it cute?  I have another like it to model soon too!!!





I styled my new headband with this cute little dress I made some time ago.  On it's own, I like this dress, but it can read a little 90's or even matronly so I haven't been overly excited to wear it.  I think this headband gives it a little bit different vibe that makes it a bit more earth mother and less 90's teen.  Also, this dress works well with the baby bump, so added bonus!






Stay tuned because I have some beautiful necklaces to share soon, also from Etsy.  Thanks Tiffani for helping me find a new look!  I have a feeling that my style is going through a bit of an evolution right now, and will continue to evolve after I know what my post-baby-body will be like.  I'm excited for the possibilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment