Thursday, May 3, 2012

Purple Crepe Dress


Here is my newest creation!     These pictures are pretty bad, but hopefully my sweet husband will take some pictures of me in it when I wear it for the first time tomorrow. 
The pattern I used was the “Crepe” by Collette.  It is described as a “simple wrap dress” and now that I am finished with it I realize that it IS a simple pattern, but making it for the first time it felt a little confusing.  I think my second attempt will be a breeze, now that I know what I am getting myself into. 
I made this dress a size 6, and somehow I still made it too big!  I am scared to go down to a pattern size 4, but I would like to make at least one of these dresses more fitted!  Hummm…
Over all, I am very happy with how it turned out!  The whole time I was making it, I kept thinking that it was turning out horribly and that it would look too home-made to actually wear.  I was worried about my color and fabric choices, and basically pretty unhappy to be wasting my time.  Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised to see how good the finished product turned out!  I also thought it was going to be too long for my taste and need some tailoring, but because of the drape, the standard pattern length turned out to be just right. 

Here it is from the back.  This dress has a pretty crisscross shape that shows of my back nicely.   


I added bias tape from merrigoroundandme on the sleeves.  This not only adds a cute touch to the dress, it also protects the edge of the sleeve and keeps it from getting frayed.  The coolest thing about this bias tape?  I got it FREE when I purchased some other bias tape!  It was just a happy accident that it worked so perfectly with the colors in the dress.
I will for sure use this pattern again.  I already have big plans for future dresses.  However, this pattern takes a lot of material, so it can end up being a pretty expensive dress to make, especially if you want to use an expensive fabric (which I do-I already have it waiting for me in my Amazon cart).  So, I am thinking the next time I will be using this pattern won’t be until late summer or early fall.  I already can’t wait, but I have a ton of projects in my head to keep me occupied until then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment