Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Representing Yourself Through Fashion

What you wear can truly have a huge impact on how your body is represented.  While I know how to dress for my body type, I am not into disguising my body or trying to mold it into something it is not.  Nothing riles me up more than a magazine article (and there are countess examples) that tells a girl with a big bust how to minimize, while telling a girl with a smaller bust how to enhance.  On the next page, you can read about how the woman with the round hips can hide them and the woman with a "boyish shape" can add padding.  Huh? Just who do they think looks okay in these scenarios?  Should the goal always be to just figure out how to be what you are not and strive for that?  It is ridiculousness!

Still, it is true that there is some flexibility in how you can represent your body type with what you wear without giving up your sense of style.  And there are some pieces that are just plain unflattering for one particular body type or another.

This dress is from a very expensive English brand Lowie.  It is a really cool brand because they use ethical business practices and strive to use materials that do not hurt the environment.  I got my dress on super sale from Modcloth!

At the St. James Tea Room in Albuquerque with my husband.  



As you can see, this dress completely emphasizes my curves.  The neckline, the thick material, and the dresses high waist, all add to this effect.  I think that this dress has a playful feel, and it is really unique.

This dress is a great contrast.  These photos were taken the very next day and I think that my body looks very different!  This dress was a great Target find, and is a go-to little black dress.  It can also be dressed down very easily because it is made of a stretchy jersey-like material.



I think that this dress minimizes both my bust and my hips without completely hiding them. It is a much more subtle dress as well. To me, this is a much sexier dress than the Lowie dress, but it is also much more muted and laid back.

I think that both dresses do a good job of representing "me", but they also allow for some diversity in my wardrobe and allow me to show two diffident sides of myself.  

Another good lesson that I have learned is that you don't always have to believe what the media is telling you is right for you.  You should experiment for yourself, and never be afraid to try something style wise that appeals to you.  For example, I didn't try skinny jeans for years because I thought they were only for stick thin girls.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  Find the right pair and they can beautifully accentuate a curvy behind and shapely calves.  Who knew?

Personally, I know how to dress my body type in the most flattering way (that I like), and what does and not work on me.  Still, sometimes I throw all of that out the window and wear clothes that I just like, even if they aren't technically the most flattering (hello baby doll style tops that are oh so comfy, but just might inspire someone to ask when you are due).  Sometimes fashion can just for you, and the whole world doesn't have to like it for it to be right!  If you feel confident, you will look good 9 times out of 10.

The question is, how do you want to be represented in your clothes?  Whether you know it or not, you are already doing this.  Choosing clothes that either hide you or show the world who you are.  I say, have fun, and be whoever you want to be!

My handsome husband, drinking tea with me on Valentines day.  Doesn't he dress well too?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment