Sunday, October 21, 2012

Book review: The Party Dress Book


Get ready for the two most beautiful and store bought looking dresses I have made so far- thanks to:
The Party Dress Book: How to Sew the Best Dress in the Room by Mary Adams
(click on the title above to find it on Amazon)


I bought this book months ago when I first started sewing and read it cover to cover.  It teaches you how to make a plethora of amazing dresses using just one simple dress pattern that is included with the book.  It is also an interesting read about how one designer created her brand.

For some reason, I was still too intimidated to actually try making a dress from the pattern, and I also don't feel like I had the right fabric to make it come to life.

I shouldn't have been afraid because this is one of the easiest patterns to use, and it also works with many different types of fabric because you use interfacing (a thickening fabric) between the top and lining layers of fabric to help hold the shape of the bodice.

I would absolutely  recommend this book to beginners, as well as more seasoned sewests, especially because the pattern that is included lends itself to so much embellishment and interpretation.

I will include photos of the first dress in my next blog post.  Stand by to be amazed (yes I am my usual humble self today).

No comments:

Post a Comment