The second dress I wanted to post about today is my little party dress I am attempting. I also got this fabric in Portland, and finally figured out how I wanted to use it.
Cutting into beautiful fabric can be super nerve racking because if you make a mistake, it isn't always possible to salvage the garment. However, sometimes you have to just go for it! I went for it on this one, and even though it isn't going to be the dress I saw in my head, it is looking pretty awesome and I have learned a lot in the process (which I probably wwouldn't have, had it turned out perfectly).
I was trying to make a simple shift dress, but the back somehow came out all wrong. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but I think that I had cut the back of the shoulder pieces too short. Sooooo, I decided to make a cut, and then another, and this is what came out of it- a partially backless, half-finished, party dress! I still have to add snaps and bias tape, but so far I think it is looking really cool!
I do wish that I had more of this material so I could try again at making it into a simple slinky shift, but I am happy (so far) with how my backless dress is turning out. And hey, it just reminds me that if you never make any mistakes, you never learn anything new!
The gaping at the top of where my butt will be is solved by the fact that I have a much bigger butt than my mannequin. So, no, I don't think that the top of my butt will show when the dress is done. Hopefully. Tee hee!
|Front of dress.|
|Back of dress.|