Saturday, January 26, 2013

Walk Away Dress Success!

My sister got this pattern for me for Christmas and I have been itching to try it!  The pattern I used was a remake (I think form the 90's?) of a pattern that was almost identical from the 1950's.  It was dubbed the "walk away" dress because it was considered so easy that you make it in the morning and walk away with a new dress by lunchtime.  It was one of the most popular patterns of its time.  There are several versions of "the walk away dress" that followed this one.  Every one of them is a wrap dress of one kind or another, and after trying this one, I would for sure like to try some of the others.

As for the re-make that I have, I have read that a lot of people were turned off by the fact that it was updated for modern sizing.  This did not bother me at all however, as I don't plan on wearing it with a girdle (though my retro long line bra looked great under it!).  People also didn't like the gaping at the sleeves, which I also wasn't thrilled with, but it was an easy fix (see the detail I created on the sleeve as a way of correcting this problem).  

All in all, this pattern lived up to its reputation.  I was pretty intimidated by it at first, but once I had all of the pieces cut out, it really was a snap to assemble.  Basically, it is a dress within a dress, that only has three pattern pieces.  If you want to learn more about the construction of this dress, simply look up "walk away dress" and about a million images and blog posts will come up.  

I did make a few alterations, mostly for style rather than fit.  Contrary to other's comments, I actually found the fit quite nice.  I will definitely be making more of these in different lengths and with different details, but be warned if you wish to attempt it, it does take a TON of fabric.  


These pictures were taken before I added the button and hook-and-eye to the front, but the over all look of the dress has not changed.  I used cotton with a slight stretch  but you really could play with the fabric of this dress and achieve a lot of different looks.


Back view.  I made it slightly shorter in the front and the back.  I wasn't so sure how it would come out, but this little detail was my husbands favorite part!  Doesn't it have a nice drape?  

Inside front.  


Sleeve detail.  


And this is the pattern I used. For reference, I am about a size 8 or a medium in most clothing, and the pattern size 14 was a perfect fit.  

So, yeah, I love this pattern.  I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a lot of bang for their sewing time buck.  My husband thought it was my best work yet!

As excited as I am about this dress, it can not compare to my next dress post.  Seriously folks, it is a good one.  Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Super excited to try this! It's going to be my August attempt at sewing.

    ReplyDelete