Friday, April 19, 2013

Elisalex #1- White dress

Meet the Elisalex Dress pattern from a new startup company, By Hand London.  The company has only one other pattern, but it is also pretty darn cute (a pencil skirt with a flounce). 

The Elisalex is a really wonderful pattern, especially the top, which looks great with a full gathered skirt instead of the skirt pattern provided (more on that in a future post).  I have made several pieces from this pattern since I got it in the mail last month, all with very different results.
The first dress is made out of soft white cotton.  This is the only one I added sleeves too.  I used pretty hand made bias tape from Merrigoroundandme on Etsy (most of my bias tape comes from this Etsy shop-I for sure recommend!)  to accent the neck and the sleeves.  I also did a pretty great job adding the zipper by machine, if I do say so myself. 




I really like the final result, but I made it a bit too big!  I don’t mind having a little extra room, but I did hope it would be a bit more fitted.  I find that most patterns are a little bigger than they say in their measurements table.  But if I size down, my boobs may end up getting squished.  By Hand London does have a nice “full bust adjustment” tutorial on their blog, but I just adjusted a bit for my second go at this dress (next blog post) by eye-balling.  I could probably still benefit from a little extra room in the chest on that one, but eh, that's what I get for being lazy. 
I also made this version with a full gathered skirt.  The skirt that the pattern came with is really cute, but I have had no luck recreating it (more on that soon).  No matter however, because I prefer a full skirt.  I also did something a little special with the skirt.  I took one long piece of material and left it folded at the bottom.  Then I gathered the open side with the piece still folded so that the bottom of the dress is just one piece.  I did this as a way of lining the dress, while also giving it a slightly different drape.  It's not very noticeable, but I still think it is cool. 
I highly recommend this versatile pattern.  I have made a lot of versions now, and I see no end in sight!  I’ll post my second version this afternoon.  Yay! 



No comments:

Post a Comment