Monday, April 15, 2013

PANTS!!!! I MADE PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admittedly, these are not Glamour Shots.  I was sewing my little heart out (so many, many projects in the works!) when I caught my husband and made him take a break from doing his own projects (car guy) to take a few quick pics before he disappeared back into his cave garage.  An elusive husband-sighting is rare on project days so I had to act quickly, and although I found time to add heals to these shots, I obviously couldn't be bothered with things like brushing my hair.  But the point is...I made pants!  Lots and lots of pants.  And they are glorious.

Eventually I will try to write a nice post about each pair and show how I would actually wear them, but for now I just wanted to show off the fact that I did it!!!!  I cracked the magic pants code!  Hurray!  I am AWESOME!!!

First up, we have my first successful (meaning I can zip them) pair of Clovers from Colette patterns. 

Great job, right???  Those who have been following my blog for a while may remember that I have been trying to make a pair of Clovers for some time with pretty bad results (meaning-they didn’t fit).  Finally, I tried again, this time in denim, and they turned out great-as you can see.  I have my shirt pulled up in a weird way so that you can get the full effect of the waistband, which has been my nemesis these many months.  I have also made a less fitted version of these in green plaid, which I will share as soon as I add pockets.  I would also love to use this pattern to make gym pants soon.  They were a bit tricky for me to figure out (understatement of the year), but now that I have, I will for sure be making these again and again. 
And now it is time for an awesome butt shot to show you that I added pockets!  Yay!  Pockets are essential to pants construction because they make it so that you can see a little less of a persons actual butt shape, and so that you can get away with wearing full-butt underwear without having pantie-lines mucking up the look.  Yes sir, these pants are the real deal.  I plan on making more (that actually fit for realz-these are just a tiny bit snug still). It is true.  I fell madly in love with my new Clovers...

BUT THEN...

I met butterick 5895 (sexy name, no?) and I finally knew the meaning of true pants love!  The most amazing part-the fit of these pants is just so so good without any adjusting at all! I made these beauties on my first try!  Ahhhhh!!!!!  Too awesome!!!!!
This pattern was really amazing, and easy.  I can’t wait to make more in dark denim!!!  I didn’t do a butt shot of these, but they make my butt look great (really I have a great butt anyway, not going to lie).  I didn't even have to add pockets!  Although maybe if I was a bit less lazy, I would go back and add them later.  Hummm... 
I will certainly make these pants again.  I would love to figure out how to use this pattern, but make it a bit less high waisted.  I really love this fit looks wise, but it is not the most comfortable for every day pants. Creepy smile in 3, 2...
Now for more smugness...

And next...

I made them again in a thick cotton.  Ugh.  These are so pretty.  I used bias tape as a detail and it came out great.  The pictures my husband took turned out too badly to post here, so I am posting these awful shots that I took myself, but you get the idea.  These pants deserve their own post one of these days, so hopefully I will make that happen. 
So as you can see, I am now a skilled pants maker.  Most pants patters are marked "easy" and I must say, that is a lie.  BUT, if you can adjust the fit to your liking (this step must be changed with each new material you use depending on stretch), then you can quickly make them again.  Pants also take very little fabric, which is nice since pants appropriate materials tend to be a bit more spendy than your basic cotton or rayon. 


So to sum up: I made pants.  I am the best ever.  The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment